
SO- I'm going to pretend that it isn't blizzarding the wettest mess of snow I can remember on this 17th DAY OF APRIL!!! And, I am going to focus on something Spring-y that makes me happy and hopeful that one day, I can pack away my UGGs for at least a few months.
I don't know about you gals, but most of my days are pretty ordinary, which is totally fine. Just a lot of running around in my casual duds, doing unremarkable things. I am most likely to be sipping a diet cherry limeade from SONIC and wearing a baseball cap. So when an opportunity arises to get all prettied up in flow-y dresses and big hats while sipping mint juleps, I? Am all over that like LV's on a Louis bag.
May 2nd is one such occasion, which happens to be...The Kentucky Derby! In Denver, at the Botanic Gardens, a fabulous Derby Party takes place full of betting, pretty drinks, and BIG BODACIOUS BOTANICAL HATS!
This morning, my friend Taylor asked if I might be interested in spicing up some hats so to speak, for some extra green if ya know what I mean ;) I immediately went bonkers for the idea and visions of feathers, pearls, birds, and flowers have been swimming around my head ever since! And now I am on a mission to assemble the most beautiful hats, ever to be worn to a Kentucky Derby soiree:) Most of all, it is just such a great opportunity for everyone to have fun and involve fasion!
Something I might wear to make my bets!
with this little number
What other ladies have worn:



Mint Julep recipe:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Early Times Kentucky Whisky
- Silver Julep Cups
Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
A brief history a la the oh so reputable wikipedia:
The Kentucky Derby is a Grade I stakes race for three year-old thoroughbred horses, held annually in Louisville, Kentucky, on the first Saturday in May, capping the two-week-long Kentucky Derby Festival. The race is one and a quarter miles (2 km) atChurchill Downs. Colts and geldings carry 126 pounds (57.2 kg) and fillies 121 pounds (54.9 kg).[1] The race is known in theUnited States as "The fastest Two Minutes in Sports" for its approximate duration, and is also called "The Run for the Roses" for the blanket of roses draped over the winner. It is the first leg of the United States Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing and is followed by the Preakness Stakes then the Belmont Stakes.
Thanks for listening to my tidbits today, hope everyone is doing well and TGIF, whether you're in the snow, or in the sun!
Ta Ta!
Have fun and get that money girl! :)
ReplyDeleteGREAT blog post!!! LET"SMAKE SOME HAT"S !!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat will be so much fun! BTW I second you on the snow, we had a random day of snow a couple of weeks ago. Bizarre and I am so over it! Bring on the spring already! :)
ReplyDeleteThat dress is killer!! I am desperately wanting it NOW!!
ReplyDeleteYa'll will have so much fun!! Can't wait to see your hat creations!!
My family lives in Denver and they have all been telling me how crazy that storm is! I hope you have a blast at the Derby party- I LOVE the yellow hat- so big and so fabulous!
ReplyDeleteCome to the real Derby next year, big hats and all! PS It's my birthday May 2nd, so it's a must. I'm going to start making my hat now.
ReplyDeleteFun! cute hats! my hub is jealous that you are in CO, i transplanted him from there (we spent our first year and half being married living in Boulder...) to here in Miami... we don't have any sonics! the first cherry limeade I had was in new mexico and i loooved it!
ReplyDeleteI love that pink little dress!! We are totally looking forward to the Derby!
ReplyDeleteThose are some CRAZY hats!! Going to have to try a mint julep!
ReplyDelete