Thursday, September 24, 2009

two capsules every 4 hrs


We have been running around like crazy, moving and re-doing our new bedroom and on top of it, a nasty flu bug hit me like a freight train a few days ago, giving me a sultry voice I could never have otherwise ;) But I just wanted to get in a post this week!

We went down to Houston {Thank you Patsy!} this weekend to surprise David's family for his Mimi's 100th Birthday! Way to go Mims! She's just as sassy as ever.
A dear family friend, Janette, wrote the loveliest, most authentic story about this sweet Joanne. I managed to get a few pics with my phone this weekend and when looking at these, I couldn't resist quoting a snipit of the opening to her life story.

"A cup of coffee and a piece of cake sure would be good," the smiling but grizzled, gray haired lady whispers into her favorite rag doll's ear. Long lost in the past, she sits quietly on the sofa, silently reclaiming the childhood stolen by Death and Poverty.
"A cup of coffee and a piece of cake sure would be good," she says again as she kisses her babydoll. A deep laugh reminds those around her of the days when she knew all their names. The old lady laughs again at something only she can see and remembers what she never forgot.

The story really is a great one. And it got me thinking about how quickly life can take us full-circle. And how you can enjoy the eccentricities of our elder loved ones, while simultaneously enjoy watching sweet babies discover new and wonderful things with eyes opened wide. Things that over the years, we take for granted or don't even notice. There is something so special about a baby, and about a loved one weathered by a long life full of memories and stories of different times.

Mimi and her baby doll

Family friend's new sweet Colbie
Colbie and Aunt Ashley. God is Good.

Us, stealing a moment with our niece, Parker, asking her to be our flower girl :)
The funny thing is, after being a spectator of those who have reached 100 years old, and those who have yet to reach one year...it has made me appreciate being somewhere in the middle even more. What a view I have! Sigh. Take today to enjoy those around you, young, old, and everywhere in between :)
I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

~Ta Ta~

9 comments:

  1. Seems like everyone is getting sick. It just sucks! The pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are so sweet. Happy Birthday Mimi.

    Girl, you are gorgeous! No inspiration needed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing to have reached such an age and look SOOOooo amazing!!! WoW...your cute lady ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome, I always wished I had grandparents so that I could see that progression and wisdom first hand. Little Parker is adorable, she'll make a fabulous flower girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww this posting is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was so touching! I am still only in my twenties, and feel like life just goes by so fast. Life is just so short, and we really should take advantage of every moment. I bet your mimi has lots of wonderful stories to tell! It would be awesome listening to her. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tagged you for an award!!! oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching post! I am so thankful for my grandparents- I work with them every day so I get to spend a lot more time with them than most people. Mimi looks so wonderful :) and congrats to 100 years! I bet she's seen some amazing things!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!